Sunday, September 29, 2019

Go Fish (for acids)

Go Fish for Acids!
Sorry I've been off the grid for so long. I'm ready to get back into this space again.

Students using the stir bar retriever to catch an acid fish.

Have you suffered through teaching acid nomenclature? It can be pretty rough. I've changed my approach completely and it really works. This year I passed out a set of acid matching cards to each student. The cards consist of about 20 names of acids and their corresponding chemical formulas on two difference colors of card stock. Starting with the chemical formulas, I have them sort the acids into binary and oxyacids. I write a brief definition of each on the board along with the naming rules for each type. Then I ask them to use the rules to match the correct name with each acid. By using the rules and a list of polyatomic ions, they can complete the task with success. Then I have them "Go Fish for Acids". I made up a set of "acid fish" from the names and chemical formulas. I cut out crude fish shapes from construction paper and taped the names and chemical formulas of the acids on them. I put a paper clip on each fish and threw the whole mess into a fish tank. The kids use the magnetic stir bar retriever (I call the magic wand, or fishing pole in this case) to catch an acid fish. They take the fish to their seat, write the name or chemical formula on their white board, and then check it with me. They cycle through the fishing about five or six times until I feel confident that everyone has had enough practice. It's really fun and interactive. And it works.

2 comments:

  1. The article has really peaks my interest.Windermere Tutoring I am going to bookmark your site and preserve checking for new information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Between this and the above lab post, I appreciate the way you've taken topics that seem limited to pen & paper to a more interactive activity to get students engaged in the moment & provide a memorable learning experience.

    ReplyDelete