Thursday, January 29, 2015

When Kids Cheat...

Cheating is such a frustrating part of my job.  I know that kids cheat on homework assignments and lab reports.  So I have to work to safeguard my assignments from mindless regurgitation of facts.  I need to create assignments with answers that cannot be googled.  I have to make up ways for students to demonstrate their knowledge that is different from what I did last year because most of my assessments are electronic and "out there" on student machines.  With my AP Chemistry class, I have to record all the past questions I've used to prevent reuse in less than four years.  And, shame on me for assigning the questions from the lab kits, those answers are all easily googled in seconds.  I have moved toward collaborative lab report writing because the most frequent cheating cases were from one lab partner copying another.  Now I have students write the report together, in class, so that they can develop their ideas as a team.  Working towards "cheat proof" assignments only gets me so far.  What really bothers me about the academic dishonesty problem is the emphasis on earning a grade rather than actual learning.

As a teacher I work very hard to create engaging learning experiences for kids.  My heart goes into labs and demonstrations to find many ways to help kids to learn difficult chemistry concepts.  But there's always that point where the fun stops and the kids have to demonstrate what they've learned.  Inevitably there's the question, "Is this on the test?"  I know that sounds so cliche, but kids ask it all the time!   To say my kids are grade motivated is an understatement.  Kids in my class will ask to revise their work, do test corrections, or re-work homework problems.  I should be thrilled by this extra effort, but in the end it's just another attempt to earn a grade, not learn the chemistry.  Do kids actually care about learning?  The pressure to get an A on their transcript is very real and in the forefront of my students minds.  Somewhere along the way they traded in their excitement for learning for stress about GPA.   I wish that I could infuse them with some of the joy that comes from learning something new.  Wouldn't it be great if I could tap into the curiosity and excitement that you see in an elementary school classroom, the same energy these high schoolers had only a few years ago.

When kids cheat on their work, I am reminded that my job as a teacher is a complicated balancing act.  I want to foster exciting learning opportunities while upholding a standard of mastery of the chemistry.  All of this is happening in short segments of time that, for my students, is crammed between five other demanding classes with teachers just as eager to inspire and motivate them to master their subjects.  Place that in the context of a boarding school experience that includes sports, dorm life, and social events, and it's no wonder kids are looking for a quick way to get to the end of an assignment.  Drinking from the fire hose, you might say.  Throw in the competition for college admissions and you have the perfect storm of stressed out teenagers.  In the face of what seems like an impossible task, I am trying to keep my focus on learning.  I want to challenge my students to learn; and if they enjoy the process, great, and if they walk away thinking "Chemistry is pretty cool", then I've succeeded. 

2 comments:

  1. Well said SCGG. I echo your sentiments completely. If you find the "cheat proof" assignment, please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am certainly not trying to make excuses for students who cheat on their school work. I guess the point is more of what we were discussing last night, the changing purpose of school.

      Delete